Saturday, June 4, 2011

Summer heat is here...Bring on the Pizza Pasta Salad!



I feel it's been longer than two weeks since I've posted, and really miss it. This new job and all the yard work, garden to put in, and getting this house loan through the bank...is taking up all my time lately. I love the yard and garden, but will be glad that most of the hard work is done for this year, and this stressful loan stuff is almost over now, and I can get back to regular posts soon. We've lived here for three years now on land contract and we are going through our second loan attempt. We could use a prayer or two! These pics were taken a couple weeks ago, and lot's has been done since then and it's amazing how much things have grown, bloomed and changed in the garden in just two weeks. I wish I had pics from when were first got here. The whole yard was over grown like you wouldn't believe. The grass grew in the back yard b/c it didn't see the sun...you had to see it...we've come a long way baby! We love to work in the yard/garden together and it's a good thing : )

That front bed at the drive is new and there's one on the other side of the drive too. There were bushes all along the property line on the outside of the garden, shading some of the garden....no more! Yippee! Eventually as $ allows we will put up either alot of ornamental grasses or privacy fence or both...we have new grasses planted every 3 ft or so and spread wildflower seeds between so we'll see what happens.

Enough of that...

I made something this past week, that I haven't made since last summer, that I have to admit I have really mastered and am pretty proud of...Pizza Pasta Salad. You haven't tasted another Pasta Salad like it.

No, no picture...can you believe it? Sorry. The story on THAT is I had it all made and was waiting on getting my mozzarella/provelone at the store, and my "almost hubby" couldn't wait...and I ended up adding his fav Sharp Cheddar that doesn't go with this...but is his FAV cheese (he's a cheese freak...my big RAT)...so I just added it and said "whatever" this time. He was happy. Sometimes it's good for Papa to be happy. Especially when he's trying to quit smoking...arg.

So, I wasn't about to take a pic of this truly awesome pasta salad with the wrong cheese in it for you! I will make it a few more times over the summer and post a pic...but after I tell you about it, you'll want to make it pic or no pic!!

PIZZA PASTA SALAD RECIPE


2 boxes of Tri Color spring shape pasta
Drain good.
Pour into the largest bowl you own.
Pour over warm pasta 1 bottle Ken's Zesty Italian Dressing and 1 medium jar your favorite Salsa
(this salsa idea works especially well for those who don't care for raw chunks of tomato, you know who you are out there...)
1 long pepperoni chub or 2 shorter Hormel chubs (whatever you find at your store)
You want to hand cut this pepperoni into small bite size chunks how ever you like, and fry them up...yes...fry them up! This drains about 1/2 cup grease from it and intensifies the flavor, trust me. Drain on paper towels and let cool a bit, then add to the bowl. This really is one of the star ingredients of this recipe. Just trust me.
If you like your pepperoni crisp on your pizza...you know what I'm talking about...

1lb Mozzarella however you like it best. I buy the fresh chunks and dice it up in cubes.
1lb. Provelone same as above.
1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
Throw all the cheese in the bowl. Toss it all around to coat it all with dressing.

Now, you get to customize and use the toppings you normally would order on your side of the pizza!

Here's what we add:
1 medium jar whole green olives
1 small can slices black olives
2 containers of whole mushrooms
slice them and saute them in olive oil and wine a few minutes till soft but not mushy maybe 5 min.
1 green pepper/1 yellow pepper ...both medium sized 
Blanched well and diced (not too small)
Fresh ground Black Pepper and  a bit of Fresh Oregano and Basil (if you have it) makes it all POP!
If you don't have a bit of these fresh herbs, the herbs in the Ken's dressing is quite enough, so don't worry about it. Dried won't be the same here so I don't suggest it.

Throw it all in the bowl and fold so all is coated well and let sit for a day...YES a WHOLE DAY! haha

I've also put young zucchini in it before and it's great, although I know it's not a pizza topping : )

You can't fail at this since it's all premade basically, and your putting in what YOU like. And it's good for you too!

This stuff is so good you can eat it all week and not get tired of it...we pack it for lunches and snack on it, and it's so good for a cool dinner in hot weather. It's a meal itself, nothing else needed.

The combo of the Ken's Zesty Italian and the Salsa is really great for the dressing! Hope you like it!

The bread is on hold till the heat of summer is past...so we're back to buying bread for a bit. I just can't get it all done right now. But it's a goal to eventually have enough of the house work done to be able to bake on Sunday. Just not there yet.

Considering a new cooking project now that I have the bread where I want it. We love wings and have kind of ran out of places we want to go to get them.
I may start a Wing Project, starting out green...not making them at home hardly ever...and perfect a recipe for wings we can make at home, just the way we love them...and not settle for what we get eating out. I love a dry rub, low sodium and just a bit spicy...or a sweet sticky BBQ. He prefers Hot Wings (not me). What about you? Have a great wing recipe??

No, I have definitely not forgot about the "Legal" Rich Chocolate Cake recipe from the Flat Belly Diet Cookbook...it's coming soon. Wish I had a big old piece of that cake tonight with a tall cold glass of milk!

How about sending me one of your favorite summer recipes?

Janie

2 comments:

  1. Janie, my favorite summer recipe is perfect for not heating up the house, but its soooooo good, we eat til we HURT, everytime I serve it!!
    I make little buttermilk yeast rolls in the morning to make the sandwiches on. That way I don't use the oven during the day, when its hot.

    It's a sweet and spicy chicken salad(very little heat though:)
    Boil three chicken breasts.
    Dice each of the following*
    two red apples,
    one bell pepper,
    1/4 red onion
    One spring onion
    Boiled chicken
    Add everything into a large bowl. Add 1-2 cups raisins, 1/2 cup NATO, 3Tbs Italian dressing, 3 Tbs ranch dressing, add salt, fresh cracked pepper, and (for a touch of kick) paprika to taste. Chill for a few hours, and serve as sandwich, or on a bed of romaine hearts.
    I like to make cranberry Orange walnut salsa for a side, but if I don't get to it, some bbq potato chips do just fine!!

    Your pizza pasta salad sounds wonderful!! I'll have to try that, soon, w/o cheddar LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mayo, not NATO, my apologies for my spell check, which has no idea what we are talking about!

    ReplyDelete