Sunday, April 10, 2011

Leftover Mashed Potatoes?


I don't know about you...but when I make mashed potatoes, I make a 10lb bag at a time, so we  have those wonderful leftovers!
Have you ever tried to make mashed potato cakes? My Mom used to make them when I was a kid at home, and they were heavenly. But, even Mom's potato cakes would often fall apart and end up in pieces by the time they made it to our plate. Mom used one egg in enough potato cakes for five people and didn't use flour for coating, which always helps things brown. And, a small bit of flour in the mix helps it bind together.
So, with that considered...here is my latest attempt at potato cakes, that turned out quite successful!
First, I made enough for about a dozen cakes.
I mix the mashed potatoes, 3 eggs beaten, salt and pepper, 1 tbls flour, and 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese in a large mixing bowl by hand. ~Sprinkle the flour in first and partially mix to avoid lumps, then add the rest and mix very well.
I get a shallow bowl and put about a cup of flour in it, now using a big spoon, get about a heaping 1/4 cup of potato mix and 'plop' into your flour, rotate and cover with flour and start shaping a ball with your hands, when coated well, you'll put into your (I use cast iron) hot skillet with whatever you use for frying (I use olive oil with a small bit of bacon grease for flavor), they should start sizzling right away when you place them gently into the skillet. Leave the same about of room you do for meatballs, so you can keep turning them as they brown.
On the last turning, I smash them open, flattening them a bit, and they will sizzle again...and as you see above you have a firm golden potato cake that won't fall apart and is melty cheesy and incredible. Chuck ate these leftover right out of the fridge, cold! If you want you can serve them with a bit of sour cream and chives (fresh in the garden right now!) and I promise, this side dish will make your eyes roll back in your head! Oh my, who needs meat and veggies when they make THIS for dinner???

Try these and let me know how it goes for you...

ps-with all the gardening we are preparing for, sorry I totally forgot blogging last week, I do plan to blog each and every Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment