Saturday, April 23, 2011

Spring, Easter Sunday...Sourdough Excursions, and Asparagus!!!

Just an FYI tonight I am baking with my starter FINALLY! My back was out all week and it's been just a really downer this spring with the wet gloomy weather and all...BUT...have any of you planted Asparagus?

What a spring angel our Asparagus patch has been for us this year!  We planted her three years ago, it takes three years to get to harvests your first crop you know.  We planted an heirloom seed, and these are gorgeous fern like plants, and the Asparagus themselves have purple tinted tops.

Let me tell you...I would have been planting and eating Asparagus my whole life if I would have know how good it is!

Chuck and I cut our first stalk last weekend, and ate it together still standing in the garden. How romantic right?? And it was....having planted it ourselves and watching it these past three years and waiting patiently we finally have this majical crop of Asparagus this year...you can almost watch it grow. Honestly, a stalk can grow up to 10 inches in one day...and it's true!

Today is the first day I got to put some in a tall glass with a bit of water, to save for later. We have been eating it or giving it away as fast as it's grown.

With my back out I didn't get to the store today, I hope something is open tomorrow.

We aren't doing much for Easter this year...not much family and no little ones. What did you do for Easter this year?

Considering trying to make crepes for the first time, with Asparagus and Hollandaise sauce...not sure if it will happen tomorrow, but it will be soon.

I'll come back to post a pic of our Asparagus patch on here in the next day or two, and I hope I have peaked your interest on the topic of Asparagus and you are inspired to plant some. Keep in mind the fern like fronds will grow about 5 feet tall and need full sun, and three years till you get veggies from it.

I'll be back to tell you how the bread is going...

Love to hear from you all,

Janie

No comments:

Post a Comment