Sunday, April 17, 2011

Time, never enough is there? Unless your waiting for the potato salad to marinate!!


Okay here I am on Sunday again...where does the time go? It seems Saturday's have been full for a while now. Yesterday we took my Mom to Lehman's hardware in Kidron and out to lunch at Mrs. Yoder's kitchen for her 78th birthday. Chuck found it to be mostly boring and sleep most of the trip, but that's another story. Mom and I had a fun day in spite of our male companion being bored to, well...sleep.

Today I find I didn't have the patience to prep my sourdough last night, so I am yet... trying to find the time since starting working again. I will master this plan, so be patient with me just one more week on the Sourdough Experiment, and anyway as I see, no one is commenting yet, so I assume nobody is taking the journey with me quite yet anyway... I'll get there...soon. Did anyone make starter yet???

Above you see my trifle bowl filled to the brim with the most awesome Potato Salad, and a new recipe I want to share with you.

On St. Patrick's day I made corned beef and cabbage with red skins, and this sauce recipe that was included, from Food TV Network and it was fabulous! With a bit of tweeking I wanted to try this sauce for potato salad for something new and WOW, if you love horseradish, it's a must try! Find the original recipe I started with by looking up Corned Beef and Cabbage on Food TV and below it is a sauce to serve it with, it's fantastic with this dish. And, it gave me the base to create the following potato salad dressing recipe.

********************************************************************************

Cook a 5lb bag of the smaller redskins and let cool completely. Chop how you like them for potato salad.

Boil a dozen eggs (Organic or farm eggs are MUCH better) and cool completely. Chop the way you like.

~By the way have you ever had trouble peeling hard boiled eggs? The majic trick is to STEAM them instead of boiling. Using a stainless steel basket, steam your eggs for 15 min. and cool, they will be a dream to peel! I recently learned this from my fantastic MaryJane Farmgirls, a great group of women who I am so thankful to have bartered, emailed and learned so much from so far on the farmgirl websiste http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/ ~

Now, blend the dressing in the bowl you will mix it all together in:

1 1/2 c regular mayo (I use the Hellman's Olive Oil type which has more of the mufa's (healthy fat)
1 1/2 c sour cream ~ yes the real thing, no non fat here

Zest and juice of one lemon (be sure not to zest into the white part as it's bitter)
2 Tbl sugar

1/3 cup of Dill pickle relish (I get Heinz brand, it's the best hands down!)

1 Tbl. dried dill (fresh is better if you have it, use 1/4 cup)
1Tbl. dried parsley (fresh is better if you have it, use 1/4 cup)

Also~if the fresh chives were up in the garden I would have thru a 1/4 cup of these in too!

*Horseradish*-This is the star ingredient and takes some important consideration. All horseradish you get (I usually try to by Helluva Good Brand as I find it the most consistant) will most likely be of different strengths per each bottle, depending on the root they used to make it. With that said, knowing yourself well enough to know how you like it, light or stronger....START WITH 1/8 CUP first then increase if you find it too weak. We used 1/4 cup plus two tbls for ours.

Mix well and taste until you have it right for you*

Add 2 tsp onion powder, sea salt and pepper to taste, to your *chopped* eggs and potatos in your big bowl for mixing, then add your mixed up dressing above, and fold in till all is coated and ALLOW TO SIT A DAY OR OVERNIGHT IN THE FRIDGE, for flavors to develop and marinate into the potato.

Good luck with that.

Chuck and I are both loving this new dressing, we are potato salad lovers who like the traditional Miracle Whip, vinegar, sugar, celery seed and sugar dressing thing, but we are both sold on this and will use this for potato salad and the traditional for macaroni salad from now on, we love it that much!

Would love to hear comments on this one, as I'm very proud of the end result...we can't stay out of it!!

Till next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment